地道美语:表述可能性

2019-10-25 18:23:18

Raul: What are the chances that Rob will be here on time?

劳尔:罗波准时到达的几率是多少?

Tiffany: I’d say it’s fifty- fifty. You never know. He might surprise us and be early.

提芬尼:50%的几率吧,你不会知道,也许他会早到,给我们个惊喜。

Raul: Fat chance of that happening. I’ve known him for three years and if I had to stake my life on whether he’ll arrive early or not, I’d be in big trouble.

劳尔:他早到的可能性很小,我已经认识他三年了,如果我把性命堵在他是否会早到上,我会陷入大麻烦中。

Tiffany: Don’t exaggerate. Rob isn’t completely irresponsible. I’d say there’s a pretty good probability that he’ll be here when he said he would, especially after he promised.

提芬尼:别太夸张,罗波也不是完全没有责任感。我想说很有可能他说他会到,特别是他许诺之后,他就会到达。

Raul: His intentions are good, but he loses track of time and doesn’t know what day it is half the time.

劳尔:他的出发点是好的,但是缺乏时间观念,大部分时间不知道今天周几。

Tiffany: He told me that he’s trying to change.

提芬尼:他告诉我他正在改变。

Raul: Well, as I said, his intentions are good. He just needs to work on his follow-through.

劳尔:好吧,正如我所说,他的出发点是好的,他只需要按照做就行。

Tiffany: Come on, he could be on his way right now.

提芬尼:不要这样啊,他已经在路上了。

Raul: Don’t hold your breath. I’ll believe his promises when hell freezes over.

劳尔:别期望太高,地狱结冰我才会相信他的承诺。

Tiffany: Aren’t you being just a wee bit cynical?

提芬尼:你是不是太不相信他能准时到达了?

Raul: And aren’t you just indulging in wishful thinking?

劳尔:你是不是沉浸于你的想象了?

Tiffany: Hey, I think that’s him coming down the road! I think you’d better eat your words.

提芬尼:我想那个人就是他了,我觉得你得收回你说的话。

Raul: And I think you’d better get glasses.

劳尔:我认为你最好佩戴副眼镜。