Stephan: What’s that?
史蒂芬:那是什么?
Livia: It’s my latest artwork. It’s experimental.
利维亚:这是我最新的艺术作品。这是试验品。
Stephan: It’s, um...
史蒂芬:它……
Livia: Abstract. It’s part of a performance art piece I’m putting together. It’ll really challenge people’s perceptions of reality.
利维亚:抽象,这是艺术品的部分,我想把他们弄到一起。那时它真的会挑战人们对现实的看法。
Stephan: I don’t really understand contemporary art. Is it supposed to represent something?
史蒂芬:我确实不怎么了解现代的艺术。它是不是代表什么意思啊?
Livia: It’s my interpretation of how the rich oppress the poor.
利维亚:它表达富人如何压迫穷人。
Stephan: Really?
史蒂芬:真的吗?
Livia: Yes, from a postmodern perspective.
利维亚:是,从后现代的角度来表达。
Stephan: Oh, I see.
史蒂芬:噢,我明白了。
Livia: You do?
利维亚:你明白?
Stephan: No, not really. I don’t think I’m cut out for modern art. I prefer art to be representational. I just can’t wrap my head around this.
史蒂芬:不完全明白。我不认为自己是能够理解现代艺术的那块料。我更喜欢具有代表意义的艺术。我无法理解这种艺术。
Livia: That’s the point. It’s supposed to challenge you and make you think.
利维亚:这才是关键。艺术会挑战你的思维,迫使你去思考。
Stephan: Well, it’s certainly made me think.
史蒂芬:嗯,艺术确实有让我思考。
Livia: It has?
利维亚:有吗?
Stephan: Yeah, it’s made me realize that I’ve underrated paint-by-numbers all these years.
史蒂芬:是的,艺术让我意识到这些年我低估了那些缺乏创造力的艺术。