【词组解析】
1. cry in one's beer 借酒消愁;自己可怜自己
(1)I'm tired of hearing my roommate crying in his beer about how hard it is to get a good grade.
我已经厌倦了听我的室友在拼命取得好成绩方面自我唏嘘。
(2)She asked for it herself,so now all she can do is crying in her beer.
这是他自找的,所以现在她所能做的事情只有借酒消愁了。
2. cry on one's shoulder 依靠
(1)Don't cry on my shoulder - this failure is all your fault.
别向我诉苦,这次的失利完全是你的过错。
(2)Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulder. After talking to you, I feel much better.
谢谢你听我倾诉, 跟你谈过之后, 我感觉好多了。
3. curious about 好奇,想知道
(1)He grew curious about how to make a toy.
他对怎样制作玩具感到好奇。
(2)Don't be too curious about things you are not supposed to know.
对于你不应该知道的事情别去好奇地打听。
4. cut down on 减少
(1)You must cut down on sugar to lose weight.
你必须少吃糖以减轻体重。
(2)We must cut down on the amount of material we use.
我们必须削减原料使用量。
5. cut down 裁短;减少;把…砍倒[割掉];<非正>驳倒
(1)He was so eloquent that he cut down the finest orator.
他能言善辩,胜过最好的演说家。
(2)The axe is too blunt to cut down the tree.
斧头太钝,砍不倒树。